Space Sci-Fi of the 1950s and Serials of the 1930s and 40s
Today, a co-worker and I were discussing Forbidden Planet, which lead me to Space Patrol, and from Space Patrol through popular depictions of outerspace throughout the history of film. This is a list of media, most of which you can watch for free.
I did a nice long post-storm over on mastodon where I talk about these films and TV shows. Then I realized I’d done that before and talked about a lot of the same stuff. That made it clear that the time had come to document this collection somewhere other than social media, which brings us here.
Items in this list are linked back to archive.org or wikimedia whenever possible.
- Space Patrol Space Patrol aired for roughly 1000 episodes. About 100 survive, because we are shitty stewards of history.
- Tom Corbett Space Cadet A rival series to Space Patrol, and contender for the crown of best loved space program. Also has roughly 100 episodes remaining.
- Rocky Jones Space Ranger
- Captain Video
- Captain Z-ro
- Flash Gordon
- Buck Rogers (1939) - Pay attention to the file order, the player has them out of order.
- Flash Gordon (1936)
- Radar Men from the Moon (Leonard Nemoy makes an appearance in a sequel to this one.)
- Captain Marvel (Shazam!)
- Captain America
- The Green Hornet
- The Phatom Empire - A singing cowboy fights a horde of robots from the center of the earth?
- Dick Tracy
- The Spider’s Web
This is an incomplete list, and I’ll keep adding to it as time goes on.
I’ve mostly linked to single episodes, but multiple episodes are almost always available. And I’ll be glad to answer any questions you have, I practically breathe this stuff. (come find me on Mastodon.)
Check out the other stuff I do: Retro Social (Mastodon Instance), Analog Revolution, Space Age Ideas, Of Many Trades. If you want to help me keep making stuff, check out the rewards available from my Patreon.
Share on: [Reddit] [FaceBook] [Google+] [Twitter]